WFDF is pleased to announce that it has awarded a total of US$5,000 in development grants to be used to create and fortify Beach Ultimate leagues with six projects on four continents. WFDF had put out a call for applications in November 2015 for the 2016 Beach Ultimate development grant program with a focus on funding projects brought by member associations or individuals to start or grow local Beach Ultimate leagues.
Applications for 11 projects were received from six countries. After the evaluation and ranking of the applications by the WFDF Beach Ultimate Committee, six projects were recommended for approval by the WFDF board. Funding for the Beach Ultimate development grant program comes out of an allocation of the budget of the 2011, 2013, and 2015 BULA and WFDF Championships of Beach Ultimate and it is anticipated that $5,000/year will continue to be allocated in the coming years.
The successful grant winners are:
• India (Chennai) – Build a sustainable college Beach Ultimate program in Chennai where club players are empowered to coach students and play in a local league. This is a pilot project that, if successful, will be rolled out throughout India.
• Portugal (National FDF) – Fortify their current national Beach Ultimate league structure by providing the means to purchase portable sidelines and motivate non-playing volunteers for scorekeeping and playing statistics.
• Venezuela (Aragua) – A social development project to get Beach Ultimate in five fishing villages on the coasts of Aragua. The project will include clinics, a Beach Ultimate league, and driving awareness to Spirit of the Game and environmental conservation of the beaches.
• Philippines (Palawan) – A social program to give youth positive alternatives in an area that has rising social problems. To help the youth in El Nido will establish Beach Ultimate clubs in 18 villages and strengthen social and economic cohesion.
• USA (Ocean Beach) – Build a lasting Beach Ultimate community and grow their Beach Ultimate league through local youth clinics and games.
• Iberia (Lisbon) – Create an Iberian women’s Beach Ultimate league with three playing days in Lisbon. Women from three cities in Spain (Madrid, Salamanca, and Seville), as well as three cities in Portugal (Lisbon, Aveiro, and Leiria) will be participating.
“This is such an important step in the global growth of the sport,” said Patrick van der Valk, WFDF Beach Ultimate Committee chair. “Hearty congratulations to all groups who received these inaugural WFDF Beach Ultimate development grants. Your effort to grow the sport and the Spirit of Beach Ultimate locally, and bring players together on a regular basis, is very much appreciated.”
“WFDF is committed to developing all disc sports, and this program focused on the development of Beach Ultimate by encouraging local leagues complements our broader development grants program, stated Robert “Nob” Rauch, WFDF President. “Our strategic plan is to make sure we sustain our growth trajectory by continuously supporting grass roots development and expanding our base.”
For more information about the Beach Ultimate grants, please contact Patrick van der Valk, WFDF Beach Ultimate Committee Chair, at [email protected].