Following the outbreak of COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) in China and the high number of cases across Asia and its spreading to other parts of the world, the Executive Committee of the WFDF Board of Directors and WFDF staff members held a meeting this last weekend with WFDF Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jamie M. Nuwer to evaluate the impact of this situation on the upcoming WFDF World Ultimate 2020 events (WUGC, WJUC and WMUC).
There are two major events scheduled to take place in Europe in July: the WFDF 2020 World Ultimate & Guts Championships (11-18 July in Netherlands) and the WFDF 2020 World Junior Ultimate Championships (18-25 July in Sweden). The WFDF 2020 World Masters Ultimate Championships is to be hosted in September in Australia.
The situation is evolving and it is still too early to know whether the virus will be contained or continue to spread. For the time being, and until further notice, WFDF’s 2020 events WUGC, WJUC and WMUC will continue as planned. WFDF will continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and will evaluate this evolving situation as new facts and information, as well as government advisories, present themselves. WFDF is also considering what steps can be taken at our events to help increase the safety of our athletes, volunteers, and spectators.
Basic rules to avoid infection are to adopt preventative measures as you would for the influenza virus
- Wash your hands with soap regularly and thoroughly (30 seconds) followed by use of disinfectant. This measure is particularly important before meals especially in a buffet style service
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with your hands
- Avoid close contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections and stay at least two meters away from infected people or people who are showing symptoms (like coughing)
- Avoid mass gatherings
- Ventilate hotel rooms regularly
We would encourage the Flying Disc community to refer to the following links for the latest information, which may evolve in response to COVID-19 developments;
- Coronavirus 2019 – WHO
- Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation report – WHO
- Travel restrictions, flight operations and screening – SOS International
- Destination List – Centers for Disease control and presentation
- IOC Statement – IOC Medical and Scientific Director, Dr Richard Budgett, advises on the Coronavirus
WFDF will put out additional press releases as the situation develops.